A listing on the US PlayStation website has posted that system software version 2.05 is scheduled to release for the PlayStation Vita today. From the site:
Downloading and installing the PlayStationVita system software update will update your PS Vita system’s operating system to include the latest security patches, as well as new and revised applications, features, and settings. We encourage you to check this page from time to time for system software updates and that you always maintain your system to use the latest version of the system software.
An update to the PlayStationVita system software was released on January 22, 2013. You can use this to update your system software to version 2.05. This PS Vita system software update is required to use PlayStationNetwork features and other features on the system.
If your PS Vita system software version is 2.05 (or later) you do not need to perform this update
- PlayStation Plus is now supported.
- “near” has been redesigned to improve its usability.
- The display speed of Web pages has been improved.
- You can now use a pointer to open links.
- Usability has been improved.
- You can now trasfer data by connecting to a computer using Wi-Fi on the PS Vita system.
- You can now copy an entire folder of photos and video to your PS Vita system from your PS3 system or your computer.
- You can now display weather information on the map for areas where it is available.
- (Email) application has been added. You can start the application from the home screen.
- You can now set how you will be notified separately for each application and feature.
- The number of applications you can control using the buttons on the PS Vita system has been increased.
Other new or revised features in version 2.05
- [Assign Touchscreen] and [Assign Rear Touch Pad] have been added as features to [Controller Settings] in the PlayStation format software menu.
- [Custom] has been added as an option under [Other Settings] > [Screen Mode] in the PlayStation format software menu.
- You can now delete screenshots or songs created in PSP Game software.
- You can now display activities on the LiveArea screen for Friends.
The LiveArea screen is displayed by flicking the screen up to let you communicate in real time with your friends.
- You can now write a comment to send with a friend request.
- You can now report an inappropriate message when you receive one with a friend request. Tap (Options) > [Submit Grief Report] on the profile screen to report.
- More varieties of file formats (TIFF, BMP, GIF, PNG and MPO) are now supported as attachments to messages.
- When trophy information is automatically synchronized with PlayStation Network servers, it is now synchronized in the background. You can perform other operations during the synchronization.
- You can now tweet the currently displayed page.
- You can now open the browser without pausing playing a game.
- You can now play a video with 1080 resolution.
- You can now play the video in slow motion.
- You can now skip chapters.
- Closed caption is now supported.
- [Disconnect Wi-Fi Connection Automatically] has been added as a feature under [Network] > [Wi-Fi Settings].
- [Avatar], [Panel], [Online ID], [About Me] and [My Languages] under [PlayStationNetwork] > [Account Information] have been moved to the newly added category [Profile].
- [Twitter] has been added as a feature under [PlayStationNetwork].
- Turkish has been added as an option under [Language] > [System Language] and [Language] > [Input Languages] > [Keyboards / Add Terms].
- [PlayStationMobile] has been added as a feature under [System].