AT&T Has Shut Down Its 2G Network

Posted by at 10:37 am on January 18, 2017

AT&T confirmed in a blog post that it has fully retired its 2G network.

The move had been in the works for years. AT&T said it helped move people with 2G equipment over to 3G/4G devices with discounts and, in some cases, free phones.

“By shutting down our 2G network, this frees up more spectrum for future network technologies, including 5G,” said AT&T Chief Strategy Officer John Donovan. “In the next few months, we plan to repurpose that spectrum for LTE.”

AT&T says the 2G shutdown will also help pave the way for the evolution of 5G.

Leave a Reply

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Sign up to receive breaking news
as well as receive other site updates

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Log in

Copyright © 2008 - 2020 · StreetCorner Media , LLC· All Rights Reserved ·