One of the problems when a high school or college student wants to study for a career in IT or design is the high cost of the software used in those fields. Even if your school has labs for learning, it is not the same as having access to the tools at home on your own time.
Yes, there is open source, but to have solid education to get a job, you need to know more than just the open source tools.
As you can see from the list below Microsoft has made the majority of its tool available to students and teacher who join the program.
Below is an audio interview with Microsoft’s Tammara Edgin who shares with info on how to join and best use the program, why Microsoft is doing it, how Microsoft protects the privacy of those who join the program, and the different career options there are for people in IT.
Microsoft recently expanded the DreamSpark program to include high school students to a program that college students world wide have already be able to join.
Click play to hear Tammara Edgin, an Educational Strategic Account Manager at Microsoft, speaks with us about Microsoft’s DreamSpark Program.
Run Time 7:36
IT Academy Student Pass
Through the IT Academy Student Pass 5 eLearning tracks are available:
- Web Developer
- Windows Developer
- Database Developer
- Windows Server IT Professional
- Windows Client Professional
Software DreamSpark Offers
Microsoft Developer Tools Included:
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2008 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Visual Studio 2005 Professional Edition
- Microsoft Robotics Developer Studio 2008
- Microsoft CCR and DSS Toolkit 2008
- Microsoft XNA Game Studio 3.0, learn to make games for the Xbox
- XNA Creators Club Academic Edition (12-month free membership)
Microsoft Designer Tools Included:
- Microsoft Expression Studio, including:
- Expression Web
- Expression Blend
- Expression Design
- Expression Media (Silverlight)
Microsoft Platform Software.
- Microsoft SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition
- Microsoft SQL Server 2005 Developer Edition
- Microsoft Windows Server 2008, Standard Edition
- Microsoft Virtual PC