The Game Marketing Awards (GMA), owned by IDG World Expo and the first U.S. program established to honor the finest work created by game marketing professionals, has announced the winners for its eighth annual program. The GMAs celebrate the best practices in marketing, promotion and advertising for the video game and interactive entertainment community. GMA winners were announced at a special ceremony immediately following the 2013 Game Marketing Summit (GMS), which took place April 17, in San Francisco at the Yerba Buena Center for the Arts.
Halo 4 marketers got several nods from their peers for the great buzz generated to launch Microsoft’s premier Xbox title. Other noteworthy winners are marketing for Just Dance 4 and Assassin’s Creed 3. One interesting pick is for Overall Outstanding Campaign- Mobile Games for EA’s the Simpson’s Tapped Out, which was more successful as a marketing effort than as a playable game, considering EA’s difficulty keeping the servers up.
“On behalf of the GMS Board of Governors and IDG World Expo, I want to congratulate each and every one of the 2013 GMA winners,” said Mary Dolaher, Chief Executive Officer of IDG World Expo, owner of the Game Marketing Summit. “The GMAs are peer-judged awards, which make them unique and especially meaningful for recipients. These honorees are truly the best of the best, and we applaud them and their remarkable contributions to the marketing and video game industries.”
A partial list of winners of the 8th Annual Game Marketing Awards include:
- Agency of the Year - The Ant Farm
- In-House Marketing Team of the Year - Ubisoft
- Outstanding Overall Marketing Campaign of the Year - Halo 4 – Microsoft Xbox
- Standout Ad Campaign - Halo 4 – Microsoft Xbox
- Outstanding Promotional Trailer - Just Dance 4 E3 Announcement Trailer – Buster
- Best Game Footage Trailer - Borderlands 2 “Wimoweh” Trailer – g-NET, 2K, Gearbox
- Best Live Action Promotional Content - Angry Birds – “Launch TV:60” – Activision, The Ant Farm
- Outstanding Overall Marketing Campaign – Mobile Games - The Simpsons Tapped Out – Electronic Arts
- Best Use of Digital Media or Use of Digital Social Media Marketing - Halo 4 – AKQA
- Most Effective Buzz Generating Tactic - Assassin’s Creed III: YouTube Influencer Campaign – Ubisoft
For a complete list of winners or more information about the 8th Annual Game Marketing Awards, visit www.gamemarketingsummit.com/awards/winners.