TBS Renews Samantha Bee’s Full Frontal Through 2017

Posted by at 10:12 am on November 16, 2016

Full Frontal with Samantha Bee

Samantha Bee will be on hand to needle the nascent presidency of Donald Trump throughout 2017. Time Warner’s TBS said Wednesday that it picked up her scathing comedy program, “Full Frontal,” for a second season, which will start next year. The show will move to Wednesdays at 10:30 p.m., moving from its present roost on Mondays at the same time.

“Of course we’re picking up the show,” said Thom Hinkle, senior vice president of original programming for TBS, in a prepared statement. “In less than a year, Sam has become one of the most talked-about personalities in all of television and ‘Full Frontal’s’ audience continues to grow.”

Bee and executive producer Jo Miller have infused “Full Frontal” with a take-no-prisoners attitude. The show opens with a montage of Bee entering an arena, ready to take on the Statue of Liberty and Jesus Christ. The host eagerly incorporates wicked profanity into her monologues on politics, culture and gender. “We do a show to please ourselves,” said, Bee, in an interview with Variety earlier this year. “This gives us an opportunity to say the things we want in the exact way we want to say them.” According to both Bee and Miller, the internal emails sent between producers and TBS’ standards and practices team about the language and graphics used in the show’s segments are voluminous enough to fill a very large book.

Executives decided to renew the program in the early fall, according to people familiar with the situation, but wanted to wait until after the presidential election to make an official announcement. The move to Wednesday was made to help production and some of the creativity behind the program, according to a person familiar with the matter. Producers at the show have often had to work furiously over weekends to update the Monday-night program to accommodate the latest developments in what has recently been a punishing cycle of news about politics, mass shootings and other events that draw outsize attention.

“I am only sorry that this renewal leaves me unavailable for a cabinet position in the new administration,” Bee said in a statement. “I will, however, be available to host the White House Correspondents Dinner, seeing as I already bought the dress.”

“Full Frontal” is executive-produced by Bee, Miller, Jason Jones, Miles Kahn and Tony Hernandez. It will begin to air regularly on Wednesdays starting January 11.

Leave a Reply

Sign Up For Our Newsletter

Sign up to receive breaking news
as well as receive other site updates

Enter your Email


Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Log in

Copyright © 2008 - 2020 · StreetCorner Media , LLC· All Rights Reserved ·